If you read my last blog you will know that we are into the second week of our Intensive Makeup Course. Everyone has settled in and this week the girls have been hitting ‘red carpet’ glamour make up hard! We have had the brilliant photographer, Paolo Ferla in to get the girls really into working a photo shoot – I say there’s nothing like a touch of reality to spice up a training session!
We also had the pleasure of welcoming back one of our first students; Vanessa Rolland and found out how she had been progressing and where she has been using her new skills. Vanessa got involved in our session and I have to say that the girl has natural talent!
Our base application this week has been ‘airbrushing’. It’s not one of the easiest techniques, but after some instruction and some secret tips, the girls have nailed it beautifully. To help showcase this in a typical situation, we got editorial & fashion makeup artist Maya M in for a couple of days. Maya was with us at our Halloween launch (remember her wonderful Poison Ivy?) so we knew we could depend on her to really step up the glamour and the fun.
Maya was asked for her top makeup tips and I have decided to share these with you as they are pretty good… just don’t tell everyone!
- Keep skin natural, dewy and fresh by only applying loose powder to the T-zone.
- After plucking eyebrows, apply Aloe Vera gel to calm the skin and dramatically reduce redness.
- Tidy and defined brows to bring together your overall look and open up the eye too!
- To avoid overdrawn brows, use fewer pencil strokes at the beginning and end of the brows.
- To complement deeper skin tones and brighten eyes, line the inner rim of the lower lash-line with pale yellow, peach or gold eyeliners.
- Want to wow in the evening? Choose a shade of loose fine glitter that matches your shadow & brush lightly onto the centre of your lids for subtle sparkle.
- To intensify your look, use a bronze or copper highlighter on the inner corners of your eyes and cheekbones.